Sunday, January 24, 2016

Course Projects

Frankly this course terrifies me. With traditional essays I know exactly what is expected and how to form persuasive arguments with the textual evidence. However, after studying all the projects in depth and breaking down each one, I am discovering how to plan for success.

Q: What are you most nervous about in regards to the four major projects?

A: I am mostly nervous about the extreme use of technology in each of the projects. My high school was extremely small and believed in more traditional learning without technology. I will definitely have to plan extra time into learning the technology. Also, I am worried about the speaking parts of some of the projects as I have always been more comfortable communicating through writing.

Ter Haar, Kate. "The great growling engine of change- technology. Alvin Toffler" 4/15/11 via Flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic

Q: What are you most interested in or excited about in regards to the four major projects?
A: I'm mostly excited about interviewing people in my field and learning how to use the other media. From what I've read, I like the quick reference guide the most and am rather excited to experiment with it.

Q: What do you have to plan ahead for and what challenges your time management skills? 
A: We will definitely have to plan ahead for the interviews and reflections. When projects start including other people, one has to fit their own schedule to the others as they are the ones helping you out. One of the larger time management skills will be to complete blog posts early enough, as an entire class, to have ample time to comment without any time-induced panic.

Q: How has your past English coursework in high school or college prepare you for the challenges of this course? What skills will you bring into the course with you?
A: My high school was a very writing intensive liberal arts school that emphasized analytical essays on literature and philosophy. I feel it has really improved my ability to use evidence within its proper context which is the greatest skill I bring into the course.

Q: Do you have any questions about the four major projects?
A: What exactly are the differences between the postmortem controversy and the argument?

Reflections:
Diego Alcantara's post on the course projects make me regret never trying speech and debate or actively trying to improve my speaking skills. Speaking eloquently has never been a strength of mine, as it requires a quick wit and cannot be erased. His post has reminded me that public speaking is a skill that is universally required, no matter what your occupation. Even though I dread that part of the course, at least my classmates are all in the same boat and we can improve together.

Sarah Hansen's worries about matching the genres and media to have the greatest effect also worries me. However, I feel like one cannot truly find a pair that is incompatible, so everything should be okay in the long run. 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely identify with your worries about the technology. I wrote pretty much nothing but essays in high school - I can't remember the last time when I might have done a non-traditional project. But I'm trying to view the positives as well: at least we get to be a little bit creative and maybe make the projects our own through the tech. I also think the dinosaur picture is super duper cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! I'm really excited to find my interviewees, too. I feel like I've never had the option to really explore anything about my major in another class, even classes that pertain to my major. We are definitely on the same page as far as your response to the second question. I feel like this class is definitely geared to strengthen time management skills! ...And I think this course terrifies us all, in a good way! You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete